Many expected the pontiff to address the issue of gay marriage, abortion and divorce but instead he spoke about the importance of combating violence, fighting poverty and family
Here is a collection of pivotal quotes from the pontiff:
1. "We, the people of this continent, are not fearful of foreigners, because most of us once were foreigners."
2. "Our efforts must aim at restoring hope, righting wrongs, maintaining commitments, and thus promoting the well-being of individuals and of peoples."
3. "A delicate balance is required to combat violence perpetrated in the name of a religion, an ideology or an economic system, while also safeguarding religious freedom, intellectual freedom and individual freedoms. But there is another temptation which we must especially guard against: the simplistic reductionism which sees only good or evil; or, if you will, the righteous and sinners."
4. "To imitate the hatred and violence of tyrants and murderers is the best way to take their place."
5. "In a word, if we want security, let us give security; if we want life, let us give life; if we want opportunities, let us provide opportunities."
6. "The fight against poverty and hunger must be fought constantly and on many fronts, especially in its causes."
7. "Here we have to ask ourselves: Why are deadly weapons being sold to those who plan to inflict untold suffering on individuals and society? Sadly, the answer, as we all know, is simply for money: money that is dren8. "Fundamental relationships are being called into question, as is the very basis of marriage and the family. I can only reiterate the importance and, above all, the richness and the beauty of family life."
Pope Francis arrived Washington DC on Wednesday, September 23, 2015.
He was greeted by President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, their daughter Malia and Sasha Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, and Biden's wife, Jill Biden.