|The Jesus statue was placed outside the religious shop as the FDNY investigated the fire|
Quick-moving firefighters swept into a fire that had erupted in a religious shop in Brooklyn Wednesday, and pulled out a 4-foot statue of Jesus basically unscathed, witnesses said.
The fire, which broke out on Broadway near Belvidere St. in Bushwick at 12:28 p.m., left Botanica La Jose seriously damaged with a pile of charred debris on the sidewalk, witnesses said.
Miraculously, there were no serious injuries. There was one minor injury, but the person refused medical attention at the scene, officials said.
“God is good. He was here today,” said Evelyn Arroyo, 56, who works in the shop. “Everything in here is material, but your life is more important. It could have been worse.”
“We were cleaning the floors, and I went out for a few minutes, and then there was smoke, and then fire broke out,” she said. “It happened so quick.”
“Thank God someone came in,” Arroyo said. “She didn’t realize there was smoke. She was in shock.”
Arroyo said she’s grateful for the actions of the firefighters. “I pray for them and their families,” she said.